Held at St. George Orthodox Church in Flint, the four Orthodox parishes of Genesee County (see below) came together, with many Orthodox and Non-Orthodox friends, to welcome the monastic community of the Holy Dormition of the Mother of God (from Rives Junction) for the 7th year in a row.
We joined together in worship, in sharing a meal in in reciving spiritually nourishment from three reflections on prayer which are provided for you here.
Please come join us - same time next year!
- Vespers - Served by Fr. John Konkle, Priest of the Holy Dormition of the Mother of God Monastery and sung by the Mothers & Sisters
Reflections on Prayer:
- Personal - Fr. Joseph Abud, Pastor of St. George Church
- With the Life of the Church - Fr. Matthew Butire, Pastor of St. Nicholas Church
- Monastic Perspetive - Mother Gabriella, Abbess of the Holy Dormition of the Mother of God Monastery
Orthodox Churches of Genesee County:
Recordings from Fr. Josiah Trenham's Talks:
The combined Orthodox Churches of Genessee County (Flint Area) held their 6th Annual Winter Dinner for Dormition Monastery on 1/18/2018. Nearly all the Mothers from the Monastery joined us at Assumption Church where we hosted nearly 170 generous lovers of Christ who came together for an evening consisting of:
- Worship at Vespers served by Fr. John Konkle and the Mothers from Holy Dormition Monastery
- Social time and an opportunity to visit the Monastery's "traveling" gift shops where they were able to obtain books, icons and so forth
- A wonderful dinner and dessert flavored by three wonderful reflections on this year's theme of The Jesus Prayer & Interior Stillness from three perspectives:
- Personal Prayer - Fr. Gabriel Bilas of St. Mary Magdalene in Fenton
- In Our Community Life - Fr. Angelo Maggos of Assumption Church in Grand Blanc
- Wisdom from the Monastery - Father John Konkle of The Holy Dormition of the Mother of God Monastery in Rives Junction
- Closing Remarks, Prayer and "Good Night" - Mother Abbess Gabriella of the Holy Dormition of the Mother of God Monastery
Father Stephen Powley, Executive Director of Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry, spoke at Holy Transfiguration Church in Livonia on January 30, 2015. The presentation was attended by several people from our Orthodox Churches in Genesee County and is provided here.
Many thanks to Fr. Stephen for his presentation and to Fr. Michael Butler of Holy Transfiguration Church for hosting the event.
If you have an interest in this ministry please contact Deacon Michael Bassett.